Why is Python so slow ?- revisited.

William Dandreta wjdandreta at worldnet.att.net
Sun Jun 18 23:22:06 EDT 2000

Mike Fletcher wrote in message ...

>Also, don't discount the expense of an extra function call.  Function calls
>were (and still are to a lesser extent) extremely heavy in Python five
years
>ago.

I did discount it because in assembly language a function call is little
more than a jump. I thought that even if it were extremely inefficiently
implimented in Python, it couldn't reduce speed by a factor of 6. In
addition, there are 3 function calls in each replace. Logic says eliminating
one improve speed by 1/3.

But on second thought, the one I eliminated was a call to a python.py
library module, the other 2 function calls are to functions in strop, a
compiled C 'module'. I'll have to test it to be sure.

Bill