postgreSQL successes

Oleg Broytmann phd at phd.russ.ru
Wed Jun 28 12:47:26 EDT 2000

On Wed, 28 Jun 2000 robin.escalation at ACM.org wrote:
> Does anyone have any success stories (or gotchas) related to
> implementing a PostgreSQL database with Python that they'd like to
> share? I am hoping to use it as a back-end to a b2b web site.

   I used Postgres in one of projects. Pure python CGIs, Postgres 6.4
(later upgraded to 6.5), PyGreSQL. Postgres was a little bit slow, but
fast enough for our task. What is more important, Postgres has a very good
community - skillful and helpful. I leaved the project, but I still
subsribed to their mailing lists.

   Postgres is still alive on my development machine. I use it to debug
portable solutions - I test programs on both Postgres and MySQL (I found
these two more than enough for usual tasks). Recently I upgraded to 7.0.
Pretty good, faster.

   I run Zope on the same computer, and use Postgres to test ZSQL. I am
satisfied. I will develop news engine for Zope, and will use Postgres as
reference point (along with MySQL).

----
    Oleg Broytmann      Foundation for Effective Policies      phd at phd.russ.ru