Getting link arguments for embedding Python in C

Ian Main nut at netidea.com
Wed Jun 7 19:38:52 EDT 2000

Hello all,

I'm working on a project that embeds the perl interpreter (an XML
application framework - http://entity.evilplan.org), and am finding
that I'm having a hard time getting it to reliably build on a variety
of systems.

The general problem is not knowing what link arguments are required
by libpython.a.  For example, as far as I can tell, there's no way to
know if thread support was built in, and if so, to use -lpthread, or
-lc_r (though I'm doing my own test now).  Or if the readline library
is required (-lreadline) etc.

Is this information kept anywhere after python is installed on the
system ?

Also, why is there no libpython.so built by default on platforms that
can use them ?  This would be much handier for us embedders (so I can
link in the interpreter on demand - it's not always required).

Thanks,

	Ian