Pausing Loop

Ken Seehof 12klat at sightreader.com
Tue Jun 6 09:24:07 EDT 2000

dsavitsk wrote:

> is there a way to conditionally pause a loop until some event (button press)
> takes place?  opening a modal window is not my first choice, but i don't
> know another way of doing it.
> (this needs to be using tkinter on win32 if that makes a difference)
> thanks again
> doug

Sounds like you need to use threads.  Read about the 'threading' module.

The idea is that you would run your loop in a separate thread from the GUI
thread.  This has the additional benefit of keeping your GUI running while the
loop is running.  When you pause, create a lock which gets released when the
desired event occurs in the GUI thread..

- Ken Seehof
kens at sightreader.com