tkinter question

Bob van der Poel bvdpoel at uniserve.com
Mon Jun 12 16:37:34 EDT 2000

I'm trying to set up a few simple things using tkinter and have run into
a couple of roadblocks...probably because I'm new to python, don't have
a good reference to tkinter...

First, I'd like to have a function which saves some of it's own data
(privately). I tried to do this with a class, but essentially run into
the same problem with a function or a class. I've ended up doing
something like this:

	def myfunc( stats=[] ):
		if len( stats ) > 0:
			.. do already 'done'
		else:
			do first time...
			stats.append("done")

Okay, this works. Is this a good way to handle this situation?

Second, if I try to append to stats with something like:

	stats.append ( Toplevel() )

I get an error. So I end up with:

	w = Toplevel()
	stats.append(w)

which works. I have no idea why the first doesn't.

Third, how can I define a widget command with an arg. For example:

	q = Button( text="Quit", command = quitit("sure?") )

Of course,

	q = Button( text = "Quit", command = quitit )

works fine.

Thanks!
--
   __