XML-code examples - mini-review of Python XML

Sean Mc Grath sean at digitome.com
Wed Jun 28 17:44:07 EDT 2000

I want to make a couple of quick points about my book
"XML Processing with Python".

1) Its target audience is developers working with XML who
are new to Python. If you are already a dab hand at Python
this book is *not* for you.

On the other hand, if you are knew to Python and caught up in the
growing wave of interest in Python as an excellent language for
developing XML applications then this book should be of interest.

2) The Pyxie library is a XML processing library specifically
written for use withPython. It is intended to provide an alternative
to the more pervasive - but also more complex - language neutral
XML APIs. As with any Python specific library, your mileage
will vary.

3)  PYX is a new name for an old, tried and trusted
technique for processing hierachical data structures that
dates back at least as far as 1986. See ISO 8879:1986
and also appendix B, attachment 1, The SGML Handbook
by Charles F. Goldfarb (0-19-8853737-9)

4) The PYX notation and PYX generators such as
XMLN and XMLV (available on http://www.pyxie.org),
can be used independently of Python.

regards,
Sean McGrath