Which linux distros have Python by default?

Grant Edwards ge at nowhere.none
Wed Jun 14 17:33:58 EDT 2000

In article <3947C5E8.4CE1032E at estinc.com>, Eric Lee Green wrote:
>Grant Edwards wrote:
>> I'm going to distribute a utility written in Python/Tkinter as
>> a configuration/administration utility that goes with a Linux
>> device driver.  I was just wondering how many customers are
>> likely to have Python/Tkinter available.  I doubt that anybody
>> is going to install Python just to run this program.
>
>Red Hat and Caldera certainly will, since their system
>administration tools are written in Python.
>
>But I would strongly suggest using TCL/Tk instead if it is a
>simple little configuration program, because I don't know of
>any Linux distribution that does not come with TCL/Tk --
>amongst other things, 'make xconfig' needs TCL/Tk in order to
>work. TCL is brain-dead, but for simple stuff it's usable.

Nah, I wrote a TCL program once and swore never again.  Since
this is just a GUI front-end for some command line utilities,
the user who doesn't have Python/Tkinter can get along fine
without it.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  HOORAY, Ronald!! Now
                                  at               YOU can marry LINDA