Splitting comp.lang.python

Mark Jackson mjackson at wc.eso.mc.xerox.com
Wed Mar 1 10:12:06 EST 2000

Gerrit Holl <gerrit at nl.linux.org> writes:

> Perl uses:
>
>  comp.lang.perl.announce
>  comp.lang.perl.misc
>  comp.lang.perl.tk
>  comp.lang.perl.modules
>  comp.lang.perl
>  comp.lang.perl.moderated
>
> Maybe it's a good idea too do something like that on c.l.py.

comp.lang.perl isn't real, having been replaced by
comp.lang.perl.misc.  Looking at my local newsspool suggests that of
the rest only comp.lang.perl.modules can be having much effect on the
traffic in comp.lang.perl.misc.  And I suspect that
comp.lang.perl.moderated addresses problems that comp.lang.python
doesn't currently have (although this might change in future).

Returning to Python, IMO a viable newgroup proposal should be based on
examination of current traffic and the identification a small (1-3) set
of easily-characterized subtopics which in aggregate comprise a
significant fraction (say 1/3) of cl.py at present.  I don't see them,
but as I personally find the current state quite manageable I'm not
highly motivated to look more deeply.

	With software, unusual conditions come up all the time;
	seemingly impossible conditions take a little longer.
				- Watts Humphrey