Python advocacy

Brett g Porter BgPorter at NOacmSPAM.org
Fri Mar 3 17:31:36 EST 2000

"Fredrik Lundh" <effbot at telia.com> wrote in message
news:VNVv4.40$y3.187028992 at newsb.telia.net...
> Brett g Porter wrote:
> > Obviously, Paul is entitled to his view that the cost of proficiency in
> C++
> > is too high. As a proficient C++ programmer, I have to disagree. I can't
> > imagine writing industrial-strength apps solely in Python.
>
> what if Python would grow a type system?
>
> and an industrial-strength compiler, on top of that?
>
> is there *anything* you can do in C++ that you
> couldn't express in a typed version of Python?
Hmmm, interesting.

At this point I'm still biased by 10 years of C / 5 years of C++ as opposed
to ~1 year of Python.  I'd certainly like to give it a try. I'd be happier
right now if I had a tighter/more transparent Python->C++->Python connection

If I could generate the same quality of code in Python, and had the same
caliber of development/debugging tools, maybe.