Zope

Cary O'Brien cobrien at Radix.Net
Mon Mar 27 16:41:50 EST 2000

In article <69sudsokeqsk8iaes7jdrjpd24nfkm9r61 at 4ax.com>,
Anders M Eriksson  <anders.eriksson at morateknikutveckling.se> wrote:
>Hello!
>
>I have some questions about Zope and I thought I ask them before
>spending alot of time reading the documentation.
>

>Can I install zope on a apache system WITHOUT being root? My ISP is
>running apache on a Solaris 5.6 system.

Yup.  It will be easier if python >= 1.52 is already installed.  If
not you will have to build that in your own directory.  Check the
./configure --help output to see what flags to set.

Zope, by default, binds to unprivileged ports, so you can run it
just fine.

>I want to create a system that lets any user create his own User Data
>Record. The user data record will contain data about the user, e.g.
>Name, email address, etc. This record should only be editable by the
>user (and admin) with somekind of login. This user data must then be
>searchable! Listings on all or some of the data should be able to
>present in different sorting orders, e.g. Lastname, country, etc.
>
>Is Zope suited for this kind of system?

Absolutely.  The big question is whether or not you want
your system backed by a RDBMS or not.  But zope is happy
either way.

>Maybe someone already has created a system like this?

See http://www.zope.org for more details.  You probably
want to get on the zope mailing list. Start with the digest,
this is a high volume list.

-- cary