Language forks (was: Python tutorial/comparison for C++ programmer)

Grant Edwards nobody at nowhere.nohow
Sun Mar 26 17:57:48 EST 2000

Cameron Laird wrote:
>			.
>>If the language implemented by "MS Visual-Python" isn't 100%
>>compatible with the official, free version of Python, then life
>>gets less pleasant.  If you want to write "portable" python,
>>you had to have some sort pre-processor to sort out the
>>differences between MSVP and real Python.  We could end up with
>>library modules that are available for one language and not the
>>other.
>			.
>			.
>I entirely understand your claims, and feel familiar with much of
>the history that supports them.  We have interesting counter-ex-
>amples at hand, though; how does it happen that CPython and JPython
>happily co-exist?

Because they've decided to?  The goal of one is not to kill the other. That
can rarely be said of MS's attitude towards other entities in the SW world.
MS seems to actively attempt to diverge from standards in order to try to
kill off those standards and establish their own dominance.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I'm reporting for
                                  at               duty as a modern person. I