how does SWIG work? how do i make a python module out of a c function?

Shaun Hogan shogan at iel.ie
Tue Mar 7 12:10:02 EST 2000

as you may have seen from previous postings i need to embed some c code in a python script (make a python module out of a c function) and i dont know how.
looking at www.swig.org/tutorial.html
i can see that this looks like what i need to do, however according to the tutorial  "you need to write an "interface file" which is the input to SWIG.", then it gives an example interface file which looks okay to me to do, but my question is.....what application do i use to write this"interface file"?, and what do i do with it when its wrote?, how do i know if i have written it correctly? how do i get it to work in the script, and get the function to do what its supposed to?

further down the page it shows (apparently) how to turn c code into a python module for Irix.....i dont know what that is, im using IDLE and windows.
can anyone help me, ive been stuck with this problem for a week...and im going mad trying to figure it out.
Thanks
Shaun