Python 1.6 and Python 3000's new features?

Alessandro Bottoni Alessandro.Bottoni at
Wed Mar 8 10:43:02 CET 2000

I just read the "Frankly Speaking" column at O'Reilly's site ( ), and I was quite chocked by two of the news:

[Python 3000] The contents of this version are still under discussion, but
will almost certainly be backward-incompatible.
[Python 1.6] In addition, Guido will include some existing bug fixes and
probably Fredrik Lundh's new regular expressions engine

Why Python 3000 should be backward-incompatible? Is it possible to have a
"big-picture" of this major version?

Why new regular expressions? What was wrong with the "old" re module?

(I'm NOT criticizing anybody. I'm just curious...)

Alessandro Bottoni
(Alessandro.Bottoni at
(alessandro.bottoni at
Web Programmer