Python 3000

effbot at effbot at
Mon Mar 27 20:08:42 CEST 2000

Michael Sobolev wrote:
> I do not know whether this is a proper place to ask this question. :)
> When I got Python 3000 sources (from CVS) and tried to build it, I saw
> that it uses VERSION="1.5" all the time.  Is it by design?  I mean
> prevents me from direct installing this new version as it's going to
> replace the files from existing python 1.5.2...

Python 3000 is a code name for a future redesign of
the python language.

The stuff in CVS is "bleeding edge python", and is
currently known as "1.5.2+".  To use this in paralell,
just install it by hand (copy the interpreter and the
Lib directory to some suitable location).

1.6 alphas will be available soonish.

Sent via
Before you buy.