Advice requested: GUI project beginning

mlauer at trollinger-fe.rz.uni-frankfurt.de mlauer at trollinger-fe.rz.uni-frankfurt.de
Fri Mar 31 05:27:27 EST 2000

Brian (nospam at noreply.com) wrote:
> > >- Tkinter is flaky on the Mac. For instance it doesn't run in the IDL
> > >and it doesn't fully quit.
> >
> > <sigh> Ain't cross-platform GUI a bitch?

> So when is Python going to have a GUI library as tightly bound with it as Tk
> is to Tcl and Swing/AWT is to Java?  Is wxWindows heading in that direction?

If you have patience and don't need it _now_, there seems to be two
alternatives in the future. Qt right now runs on Win (although it's commercial and __expensive__) and Linux, Gtk right now runs on *nix, BeOS and Windows-
ports are in production. The Gnome/GTK bindings for python are excellent,
don't know about the KDE/Qt bindings though. I think either one of them
or both will become the next generations standard GUI for (and not only )
Python RAD apps... now if I have said before, they need to grow a bit.

    Regards & Gruesse from Mickey @ http://www.Vanille.de