Is it Python or is it C ? -- Punctuation Rules

Paul Magwene paul.magwene at yale.edu
Wed Mar 8 15:12:20 EST 2000

As far as I remember, Strunk & White and the latest edition of the Chicago
Manual of Style (my copies of which, unfortunately, are not accessible at
the momenet), recommend the first usage, with the punctuation inside the
closing quotation mark. I don't know what MLA and APA have to say on the
matter, but frankly the second form looks odd to me!

--Paul

Steve Holden <sholden at bellatlantic.net> wrote in message
news:38C69E6D.CD268578 at bellatlantic.net...

> Technically I think you only need one.  However, I suspect Americans
> would disagree with me about where it should go, since in UK usage
> the closing punctuation is also used to close the sentence, and
> so we would write:
>
> ... to "which preferred pydioms yield the best performing bytecode?"
>
> whereas I understand correct American usage would be:
>
> ... to "which preferred pydioms yield the best performing bytecode"?
>
> Is-there-a-place-for-teachers-of-Python-as-a-second-language-ly y'rs -
Steve