Choice Of Language (was: Python Advocacy)

Oleg Broytmann phd at phd.russ.ru
Thu Mar 9 05:17:28 EST 2000

Hi!

   I got your message a little late (today is 9 Mar), but answering anyway.

On Sun, 5 Mar 2000, Don Tuttle wrote:
> I have never programmed for a living.  (I enjoy it way too much to ever do
> that! <wink 0.5>)  So let me ask all you folks that do.  What percentage of
> your paid, professional time do you get to use Python?

   200% :)

   That is - I do all my professional work using Python for about 4-5
years. And I wrote hobby projects in my free time - again, using Pyton.

   Once I had been forced to switch to perl, but I did my best to change
job place - I hate perl a little too much :) Of course, it is a somewhat
hard to find python job - most organisation prefer Perl and PHP, but anyway
there some places where I can go.

   Currently I am working for FEP - right-wing Russian political
organisation. By some reasons our chief software architect decided to use
Python as our primary programming language, and I am very happy with this
decision :) So we've created and continue developing Web sites using Python
(and ZTemplates)...

Oleg.
----
    Oleg Broytmann      Foundation for Effective Policies      phd at phd.russ.ru