Determining Ethernet HW Address

Jim Richardson warlock at
Wed Mar 29 09:10:41 CEST 2000

On Wed, 29 Mar 2000 01:24:02 GMT,
 Grant Edwards, in the persona of <nobody at nowhere.nohow>,
 brought forth the following words...:

>>    Jerome> I've need the ethernet hw address given an IP and the
>>    Jerome> Python code runs on Win32 and Linux... so...
>>there is no portable way of getting it even in C. i guess your best
>>bet would be parsing ifconfig output... but that too varies
>>between operating systems.
>Mind if I ask why people want to do this?
>The question of how to get the Ethernet address of an interface
>seems to come up regularly in various newsgroups (it comes up
>in the Linux groups regularly).  I've been messing with
>computers for 15 years and never needed to know an Ethernet
>address in a program, so I'm curious...

I can't speak for others, but I have needed to pass data straight to the MAC
address, avoiding all networking layers, in order to test 10/100 base T
microwave units through-put in (relatively) long term, and to get BER numnbers
over several hours. But this is coming from data pipes orthogonal to
computers, so YMMV.

Jim Richardson
	Anarchist, pagan and proud of it