will python 3000 break my code?

Fredrik Lundh effbot at telia.com
Wed Mar 1 04:02:58 EST 2000

Gerrit Holl <gerrit at nl.linux.org> wrote:
>     1) l.append changes in Python 1.6, not in P3K,

>     2) it's such a small change; it will be able to be done automatically,

nope.  the only way to fix this automatically is to patch the
python interpreter to support the old behaviour.

"checkappend" can only spot obvious cases.  to make sure your
program works fine, careful regression testing is the only thing
that will help.

>     3) it's considered Bad Style to use multi-argument append, IMHO.

ahem.  does your HO really matter to all those who have
to spend time and money changing their existing code base.

preliminary results indicate that *all* our applications and
libraries (including PIL) are affected by this change.  given
that, it's quite likely that a few other companies will also
stumble upon this one...

</F>