Tkinter long menu problem

Joshua Macy amused at webamused.com
Thu Mar 16 12:10:05 EST 2000

Randall Hopper wrote:

> Gabor Papp:
>  |I'm building a Menu with a lot of cascades and Tkinter allows this
>  |huge list to be bigger than the actual vertical screen size. Are
>  |there any options to force it to generate a new cascade for the
>  |rest of the menu in this case?
>
> I've hit that too and also wondered about a cascade.  Since you didn't get
> any replies from Fredrik, I assume it's not supported.
>
> Best I've been able to find with native Tkinter without coding your own
> menu is to use a smaller font in the cascade.  But that is a hack and not a
> fix.
>
> I wonder if wxWindows supports auto-split menu cascades?

  This is certainly not what either of you is looking for, but I feel
compelled to point out that menus with huge cascades are a terrible user
interface design.  You would be doing your users a huge service to spend
time redesigning the interface so as not to require it, instead of
looking for a way to automatically stuff even more choices in the menu.
Try reading Alan Cooper's "About Face: Principles of User Interface
Design" for some ideas on how to avoid putting your users through menu
hell.

  Joshua