Python and Gtk cross-platform?

Travis Oliphant olipt at mayo.edu
Tue Mar 7 18:16:39 EST 2000

> > Hello,
> >
> > Are Python programs source code cross-platform between Linux and Win32 using
> > the Gtk GUI toolkit?  In other words, using the Gtk toolkit will Python
> > programs run identically without changes on both platforms?
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> No.
>
> Gtk was designed for the X window system.

I don't think this is quite correct.  Gtk was designed on top of GDK so
that it could be ported if GDK were ported.  There is a well-tested
X-windows port of GDK, and a "beta" Win32 port.   I have not heard of a
Mac-port, but it is potentially doable.

Gtk is a cross-platform toolkit, by design, but the underlying GDK has
only been extensively tested on X-windows.

-Travis