What If Python Replaced Elisp?

Lloyd Zusman ljz at asfast.com
Fri Mar 10 17:52:09 EST 2000

grant at nowhere. (Grant Edwards) writes:

> In article <Pine.GSO.4.10.10003102317130.4723-100000 at sundial>, Moshe Zadka wrote:
> >On Fri, 10 Mar 2000, Grant Edwards wrote:
> >
> >> One might argue that it would be hard to come up with a
> >> portable, network-transparent windowing system that was much
> >> simpler than X11
> >
> >Yes, but that argument wouldn't hold water: NeWS was such a system.
>
> I've heard some good things about NeWS, but never new any
> details.  Isn't Apple's coming out with a new windowing system
> based on display-PDF rather than the display-Postscript model?
> That should make things even simpler.  It's probably too late
> for anything to replace X, no matter what its technical merits.

Yes, I agree ... it probably is too late for anything to supplant X,
at least in the near future.

As for display-Postscript, one of the things that distinguised NeWS
from various display-Postscript implementations was the fact that the
NeWS server *ran* Postscript and didn't just *render* it like
display-Poscript does.  That made a huge architectural difference.

Display-PDF is just another type of rendering.  It would help in
certain specific cases, but it's as far from NeWS's architectural
advantages as is display-Postscript.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz at asfast.com