Unicode patches checked in

Mark C Favas mark at chem.uwa.edu.au
Mon Mar 13 09:04:48 EST 2000

Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> writes:

>I've just checked in a massive patch from Marc-Andre Lemburg which
>adds Unicode support to Python.  This work was financially supported
>by Hewlett-Packard.  Marc-Andre has done a tremendous amount of work,
>for which I cannot thank him enough.

<-- snip -->

>I'd like to invite everyone with an interest in Unicode or Python 1.6
>to check out this new Unicode-aware Python, so that we can ensure a
>robust code base by the time Python 1.6 is released (planned release
>date: June 1, 2000).  The download links are below.

My compiler (Tru64 Unix, Compaq C V6.1-110 (dtk) on Digital UNIX V4.0F)
gives the following warnings with Objects/unicodeobject.c:

cc -O -Olimit 1500 -I./../Include -I.. -DHAVE_CONFIG_H   -c unicodeobject.c
-o unicodeobject.o
cc: Warning: unicodeobject.c, line 1072: The block-level declaration of the
function "findchar" specifies an explicit storage class other than extern.
(funcstrcls)
        static const Py_UNICODE *findchar(const Py_UNICODE *s,
--------------------------------^
cc: Warning: unicodeobject.c, line 2033: In this declaration, "findchar" is
declared with both internal and external linkage.  The previous declaration is
at line number 1072 in file unicodeobject.c. (mixlinkage)
const Py_UNICODE *findchar(const Py_UNICODE *s,

If I move the declaration at line 1072 from within the block to before the
function in which it occurs, the warning goes away.

Mark
--
Email  - mark at chem.uwa.edu.au      ,-_|\                           Mark C Favas
Phone  - +61 9 380 3482           /     \               Department of Chemistry