wxPython for Mac

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at ub.d.umn.edu
Thu Mar 16 14:50:15 EST 2000

On 16 Mar 2000, Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> As far as I remember there was an incompleted port of wxwindows
> verson1 to Nextstep. Openstep it successor was a bit different and
> Rhapsody -> Mac OS X will be a little bit different, too. Somebody
> has to make another port.

The port of wxWindows 1 to NeXTSTEP wasn't a native port to NeXTSTEP, but
one which required an X server and used Xt as it's toolkit.  They got it
up to version 1.66d.

To get wxWindows going on Mac OS X the most straightforward approach would
likely be Carbon, which is a cruft-cleaning reimplementation of the Mac OS
Toolbox on Mac OS X.

It'd probably also be fairly easy making a wxGTK port which uses an X
server on OS X (which doesn't exist yet, although one does exist on OS X
Server), but a Carbon version would retain the native look and feel OS X
and not use whatever GTK theme is installed.

Aaron