Stackless/microthreads merge news

Christian Tismer tismer at tismer.com
Tue Mar 14 08:35:47 EST 2000

Armin Steinhoff wrote:

> In article <38CD37D6.DC8094CC at tismer.com>, Christian says...
> >Memory is one issue. You can have thousands of tiny threads inside
> >the real ones.
>
> Will a micro thread have a priority ??

At the moment we have no priorities. The task management is
a few simple lines of python, and people are invited to play
with that. Of course one can have priorities with a little
more sophisticated structure than that single task list.

> >Switching speed: At the moment, the switching
> >involves a couple of Python instructions. After things have settled,
> >the basic functions will vanish into a C module, probably. Then we
> >have nothing else but continuations switching. That runs at least
> >3 times faster than real thread switching on Windows.
>
> Wow, I cross my fingers ... but I believe Windoz is not the ultimate scale ;-)

Windows is known to be one of the fastest thread switching
environments.

ciao - chris