Python performance

Nick Trout nick at spam_me_notvideosystem.co.uk
Thu Mar 9 08:51:43 EST 2000

> All worship the all-beloved, universal and mighty C!
>
> Note that Doom and all the Quake games have also been written without a
> single opcode in assembler.
>
> There are still times when assembler gives you better performance.  But
> the article to which you are replying explains why that's not as often
> any more.

That's not true. Most of the software renderer was written in assembler. I
assume other bits were as well but in the main, most of the game was written in
C. Michael Abrash write a book called "The Zen of Graphics Programming" which
details getting the most out of an x86 processor when you're rendering. Where
else would he get the experience to do this since he worked on Doom and Quake?!

I agree with the argument that the best language is the one that is most
practical. Personally I believe C is best for writing games (close to hardware
and is very hackable), C++ is best for tools (organised) and Python is a
brilliant support language (parsing, build system support, text processing etc).

Regards,
Nick.