Stackless/microthreads merge news

Just van Rossum just at letterror.com
Sat Mar 11 08:59:16 EST 2000

Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> Brent Fulgham <brent.fulgham at xpsystems.com> wrote:
> > Has any thought been given to making the generic Python
> > use the Stackless implementation?
>
> definitely!
>
> personally, I hope that microthreads will be stackless
> Python's true killer app, and that we will see a merge
> in 1.7.  but that's me ;-)

Let me second that... I read the microthread document, and I'm very
impressed indeed.

Apparently one of Guido's doubts about stackless is that it seems
impossible (or merely hard?) to replicate in JPython. Personally I think
it would be a shame if the limitations of one particular Python
implementation imposes restrictions on others. After all, JPython
implemented features that are hard to implement in CPython, so why
should CPython's development be held back because of JPython?

I want stackless in 1.6...

Just