Prevalence of metaprogramming (was: Forth like interpreter)

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Fri Mar 24 11:51:35 EST 2000

In article <slrn8dkqs4.jvh.wtanksle at dolphin.openprojects.net>,
William Tanksley <wtanksle at dolphin.openprojects.net> wrote:
			.
>Second, I've never seen that quoting mechanism used as a metaprogramming
>tool -- it's always used (as in your example here) to provide _data_, not
>programs.  It's just another way for a program to provide data to another
>program.  If that's metaprogramming, then so's every use of 'return'.
			.
			.
			.
There's a widely-recognized use of shell quoting for metaprogramming:
environment munging.  I thought there was a good URL for an explana-
tion of this, but all my references have rotted.  I'll follow-up with
a description of the technique when I'm able to make time.

Lua <URL:http://starbase.neosoft.com/~claird/comp.lang.misc/lua.html>
makes intelligent use of metaprogramming, by the way.
--

Cameron Laird <claird at NeoSoft.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net