Which CORBA binding ?

Jon K Hellan hellan at acm.org
Mon Mar 20 04:38:13 EST 2000

mlauer at trollinger-fe.rz.uni-frankfurt.de () writes:

> Good Morning... well, for me at least, local time is 8:35...
>
> I want to use ORBit because it has python bindings. So far
> so good. But at the moment, there seem to be two different python
> bindings for ORBit available. AFAIK there is
>
> pyOrbit, hosted by the theopenlab.uml.edu, where the great
> pygnome and pygtk bindings come from,
>
> and there is
>
> ORBit-python, hosted by http://projects.sault.org/orbit-python/
>
> What's the status of these two projects, has anyone used both and
> can recommend using one of them ? Please advice, if you can.

Well, you can get some work done with ORBit-python. Bugs are being
shaken out at a fast rate. But it doesn't use the CORBA standard for Python
bindings. It isn't able to compile IDL to stubs and skeletons, but
imports it on the fly. This is quite fast, and does away with the need
to locate the stubs and skeletons, but it can obviously be a
bottleneck in some applications.

pyOrbit isn't able to compile IDL yet. You have to handcraft Python
stubs and skeletons around the C versions.

Other ORBs which support Python are omniORB and Fnorb. Fnorb is
slow. omniORB is not quite as fast as ORBit, but still fast.

Are you interested in CORBA/Python in general or just for the GNOME
environment?

Regards

Jon