Problem dlclosing Python

Jon K Hellan hellan at acm.org
Thu Mar 2 17:31:02 EST 2000

Hi,

My application (the spreadsheet gnumeric) embeds Python in a dynamic
library, which is dlopened using a plugin interface.

Plugins are supposed to be unloadable. But if I try to dlclose, I get
a segfault at an address that belongs to libpthread.

libpthread was in turn linked in by libpython1.5. This happens even if
I dlclose before executing a single line of useful code in the plugin.

The platform in question is Linux (Debian / glibc 2.1.3.). The Debian
Python packages are configured with pthreads. I could work around by
recompiling without threads, but the idea is to work with the Python
installation the user already has.

So if somebody can help me understand what's going on, a solution
might be possible. Hopefully even for other platforms.

Not being able to unload is not exactly a top prioty bug. But it would
be nice to understand what's going wrong.

Thanks,

Jon