mod_perl and mod_python, is perl better for that task?

Aahz Maruch aahz at
Sat Mar 25 16:41:43 CET 2000

BTW, if you're going to post and e-mail, please make sure to label it so
I don't have to respond twice?

In article <C4A70367F8B6E54D.4C5123CB5FA7717E.0D5FC257192699D1 at>,
Cameron Laird <claird at> wrote:
>In article <8b5hd9$sf8$1 at>,
>Aahz Maruch <aahz at> wrote:
>>If you don't need to use Apache, you might consider using Zope, which is
>>a full-blown platform for supporting Python web applications.  (You
>>could even do what we're doing and proxy Apache requests through to
>>Zope; it was easier for us than trying to embed Zope.)
>? Apache and Zope aren't in opposition at all--or maybe I'm misreading
>your meaning.  What was difficult about "trying to embed Zope"?  This
>sounds important enough that I'm sure the Zopesters would want to know

Sorry for the lack of clarity.  I'm pretty sure most of the problem was
a combination of our inexperience, lack of time to learn better, and
Zope1, but we had a lot of difficulty with Apache and PCGI.  When we
upgraded to Zope2, it was a lot easier for us to set up a ZServer behind
an Apache proxy.  I presume it would be even easier to skip Apache
entirely.  We couldn't do that because we needed an SSL certificate.
                      --- Aahz (Copyright 2000 by aahz at

Androgynous poly kinky vanilla queer het    <*>
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

Usenet is not a democracy.  It is a weird cross between an anarchy
and a dictatorship.  --Aahz