Is it Python or is it C ?

Greg Ewing greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Wed Mar 8 21:05:02 EST 2000

Steve Holden wrote:
> since in UK usage
> the closing punctuation is also used to close the sentence, and
> so we would write:
>
> ... to "which preferred pydioms yield the best performing bytecode?"
>
> whereas I understand correct American usage would be:
>
> ... to "which preferred pydioms yield the best performing bytecode"?

My understanding is that if the thing being quoted is a complete
sentence in itself, the closing punctuation goes inside the
quote, otherwise it goes outside. E.g.

   The question is: "Which preferred pydioms yield the best
   performing bytecode?"

as opposed to something like

   There is a question as to which preferred pydioms yield
   "the best performing bytecode".

--
Greg Ewing, Computer Science Dept,