Determining Ethernet HW Address

Grant Edwards nobody at nowhere.nohow
Tue Mar 28 20:24:02 EST 2000

On 29 Mar 2000 01:30:54 +0300, Erno Kuusela <erno at iki.fi> wrote:

>    Jerome> I've need the ethernet hw address given an IP and the
>    Jerome> Python code runs on Win32 and Linux... so...
>
>there is no portable way of getting it even in C. i guess your best
>bet would be parsing ifconfig output... but that too varies
>between operating systems.

Mind if I ask why people want to do this?

The question of how to get the Ethernet address of an interface
seems to come up regularly in various newsgroups (it comes up
in the Linux groups regularly).  I've been messing with
computers for 15 years and never needed to know an Ethernet
address in a program, so I'm curious...

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I'm having an
                                  at               EMOTIONAL OUTBURST!! But,