Pointers

Will Ware wware at world.std.com
Wed Mar 15 19:04:57 EST 2000

Curtis Jensen (cjensen at bioeng.ucsd.edu) wrote:
> ...   def __init__(self):
> ...     self.a -> (Pointer to) d['A']
> ...   def __init__(self):
> ...     self.b -> (Pointer to) d['B']
> 0
> 0
> 1
> 2

> If the data in the dictionary changes, I want the data in the class to
> automaticaly change also.  Is this possible?  Or at least something
> close?

OK, I see the rub here. When you type "d['A'] = 1", the thing to which
a.a referred still exists, but now d['A'] is referring to something else.
You might need to do an on-the-fly dictionary lookup, like this:

>>> class A:
...   def __init__(self):
...     self.dict = d
...   def a(self):
...     return self.dict['A']

That should do it for you, I think, albeit inefficient. The inefficiency
results because you care what happens when 'd' has one of its entries
reassigned.