Default Parameters to function!

Michael Hudson mwh21 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Mar 15 15:29:55 EST 2000

"Yuriy Gorvitovskiy" <yuriy at centricsoftware.com> writes:

> I want to make a request to the Python developers to change the way of
> default parameters initialization from "when function definition is
> executed" to "when function executed".

Loosely speaking, no chance.  Too much code relies on this behaviour
(yes, that's perhaps a bed idea, but it's still true).

> I spend half of the days to figure
> out this problem. This definition not intuitive. If somebody can give me One
> GOOD reason why it this way, I will be appreciate!

What do you want to do instead?  Store little code objects for each
default argument and evaluate them each time?  I guess efficiency was
the initial reason for this implementation.

Cheers,
M.

--
very few people approach me in real life and insist on proving they are
drooling idiots.                         -- Erik Naggum, comp.lang.lisp