Python advocacy

John Nielsen nielsenjf at
Sat Mar 4 03:44:19 CET 2000

Go take a look at

You'll find lots of comments there. (You'll probably have to go back a
day to when it was posted).

I am a reasonably long time perl programmer, whose found lots of fun

I've written virtually identical code in both systems (using some
complicated data structures) and I was impressed that (being less
experienced w/python), I could pretty much write it w/out reviewing the
python documentation.

It helped that I had already written it in perl first, but I was still
impressed, that as a newcomer to python, I could just spit out the code.

I don't think the other way around would have been true (writing it in
python first, then just spit out the perl code).

Tom Christiansen posted an excellent comparison of perl and python back
in august. And, he has some criticisms that are worth looking at.

In article <38BF1990.CAA71DE6 at>,
  Paul Prescod <paul at> wrote:
> Don Tuttle wrote:

> > I bow before man with big, big gonads!  You very brave man, Paulsan.
> Well, thus far all response has been positive! Obviously I stacked the
> deck by alerting'ers about the article but Perl-mongering
> flamers have been conspicuously absent. Obviously some large majority
> are going to be mature about it and some other percentage indifferent.
> I'm just surprised not to hear from the lunatic fringe. I'll hasten to
> add that every community has a lunatic fringe -- Perlers are probably
> worse than anyone else.
> Of course the most vicious flamers probably hang out together
> other than the O'Reilly web site...
> > End
> > article with "You can respond to Paul at pyguy at "  You
> > wonderful article.
> pyguy is an alias set up specifically for that article so that I can
> redirect flamage to my "read this on a rainy day" folder.
> --
>  Paul Prescod  - ISOGEN Consulting Engineer speaking for himself
> "We still do not know why mathematics is true and whether it is
> certain. But we know what we do not know in an immeasurably richer way
> than we did. And learning this has been a remarkable achievement,
> among the greatest and least known of the modern era."
>         - from "Advent of the Algorithm" David Berlinski

nielsenjf at

Sent via
Before you buy.