Python and National Instruments

Sam Schulenburg samschul at pacbell.net
Wed Mar 15 13:19:42 EST 2000

In article <8aoann$ooe$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>,
wdbeal at my-deja.com wrote:
> Has anyone tried to interface with National Instruments driver
libraries
> under Windows. I'm interested in using Python for test and measurement
> programs.
> Bill Beal
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

I have use Python to access National Inst. dll's (GPIB, NADAQ) via the
calldll, and windll routines that can be found incorporasted in dynwin
at http://www.nightmare.com/~rushing/dynwin/

The following code shows how I used these routines:
// ================ Start snipit ==================

from aspi import *  # My Routines and timers
import windll       # Get the interface to access dll's
import structob     # Get the 'c' language structure interface

gpib = windll.module('gpib-32') # load and get handle to gpib dll
cstring = windll.cstring        # Object to map python strings to c
strings
GpibHandle = 0

def  GetDevice(BoardAddr=0,PriAddr=0,SecAddr = 0,Timeout = 13):
            global GpibHandle
            GpibHandle = gpib.ibdev(  BoardAddr,     # Board address
                         PriAddr,       # Primary device address
                         SecAddr,       # Secondary device address
                         Timeout,       # Timeout
                         1,             # EOI flag
                         0)             # EOS byte
            if GpibHandle > 0:
                return GpibHandle
            else:
                print 'Error in obtaining device handle'

def TestGPIB():
       global GpibHandle
       wrbuffer = cstring("*RST",4) # Identify command
       rc = gpib.ibwrt(GpibHandle,wrbuffer.address(),len(wrbuffer))
       print 'rc = 0X%X'%rc
       if rc != 0x100:
           print "Error in ibwrt"
           return

       wait(1000.0)
       wrbuffer = cstring("*IDN?",5) # Identify command
       rdbuffer = cstring("",1000)   # 1000 character buffer

       rc = gpib.ibwrt(GpibHandle,wrbuffer.address(),len(wrbuffer))
       print 'rc = 0X%X'%rc
       if rc != 0x100:
           print "Error in ibwrt"
           return

       rc = gpib.ibrd(GpibHandle,rdbuffer.address(),200L)
       print 'rc = 0X%X'%rc
       if rc != 0x2100:
           print "Error in ibrd"
           return

       return rdbuffer

def GPIBWrt(string):
       global GpibHandle
       wrbuffer = cstring(string,len(string))
       rc = gpib.ibwrt(GpibHandle,wrbuffer.address(),len(wrbuffer))
       if rc != 0x100:
           print "Error in GPIBWwrt"
           return

def GPIBRd():
       global GpibHandle
       rdbuffer = cstring("",1000)   # 1000 character buffer

       rc = gpib.ibrd(GpibHandle,rdbuffer.address(),200L)
       if rc != 0x2100:
           print "Error in GPIBRd"
           return

       return rdbuffer

def GPIBClr():
       global GpibHandle
       rc = gpib.ibclr(GpibHandle)
       if rc != 0x100:
           print "Error in GPIBClr"
           return

def RampUpFreq(StartFreq=2100,EndFreq=38400,Trigger=0):
    """ Will ramp HP8110A from StartFreq to EndFreq
        and set Trigger to external or internal mode"""
    EndFreq= EndFreq+1
    GPIBClr()
    wait(100)
    GPIBWrt("*RST")
    wait(100) # My delay routine in aspi.py
    GPIBWrt("VOLT1 5.0V")
    GPIBWrt("OUTPUT1 ON")
    #Setup initial frequency
    wrbuffer = "FREQ %d"%(StartFreq)
    GPIBWrt(wrbuffer)
    raw_input("Turn on MCS and then hit enter")

    for i in range(StartFreq,EndFreq,1000):
        wrbuffer = "FREQ %d"%(i)
        GPIBWrt(wrbuffer)
        wait(20)  # My delay routine in aspi.py
    if Trigger == 0:
        GPIBWrt("ARM:EWID:STATE ON")
        print "HP8110A is in external triger mode"
    else:
        print "HP8110A is in Continuous triger mode"

def RampDownFreq():
    """ Will ramp HP8110A from it's present to 2.1khz"""
    GPIBWrt("ARM:EWID:STATE OFF")
    wait(20)
    GPIBWrt("FREQ?")
    StartFreq = GPIBRd()
    StartFreq = int(atof(StartFreq.trunc()))
    EndFreq  = 2000
    print "StartFreq = ",StartFreq," EndFreq = ",EndFreq