Stackless/microthreads merge news

Will Ware wware at world.std.com
Thu Mar 9 16:45:29 EST 2000

Chris Tismer and I expect to release microthreads running on
Stackless Python very soon. At this point things appear stable
enough that we can release a user's manual, available at
http://world.std.com/~wware/utdoc.html
Please bear in mind that this manual is very preliminary and
not a finished product. We don't expect the stuff in the manual
to change much before the release, but caveat emptor and all
that. There are some bug fixes still to do, and there is no
guarantee that changes in the user's-eye view of things will
not become necessary.

The purpose in releasing the manual early is two-fold. First,
people who may want to use microthreads in the future can begin
to get acquainted with them before the real release. Second, we
would like any useful feedback. We've tried to give microthreads
most of the features that would be available in a normal RTOS,
so it has semaphores, queues, and timers. If anybody can think
of any additional features they would like to see, please email
Chris or myself.