Newbie question - file selector dialog box?

C.C. Ang calcium at altavista.net
Tue Mar 28 00:56:26 EST 2000

Hi there,
This is a newbie question I'm afraid.
I'd like to pop open a dialog box which allows me to select/browse
through my local directory and returns the filename selected.
I'm assuming that this is quite a common task and part of tkinter?

Is there an existing call or do I have to populate the dialog box list
myself?
I did find something from my search of the python archives but it was
> 100 lines.
and did look at the tkinter pages.

Thank in advance,
Chai
a new convert to Python. Had to write a CGI script that talks to 2
processes
via sockets, returning a value to the web page. Wrestled with Perl for
the best part of a day. Decided to give python a go after reading
Eric Raymonds interview in the Linux Journal.
I did the same task in Python in 90 minutes from zero knowledge of
Python.
Amazing. All my perl books are for sale. (sorry Larry, u're a God too).