Problems with python in asp

Joshua Macy amused at webamused.com
Wed Mar 8 20:19:13 EST 2000

Neil Hodgson wrote:

> Joshua Macy wrote
>
> >   I may be barking up the wrong tree entirely (I haven't tried Python in
> > ASP yet), but it appears to me that stripped of the ASP cruft, your
> > Python routine looks like:
>
>    There are three types of ASP cruft:
> <%@    Directive
> <%=    Value extraction
> <%    Script
>
>    I have no idea how these are presented to the Python engine, but the
> <%= category %>
>    bits shouldn't be interpreted as part of the surrounding script.
>
>    Neil

  In that case, wouldn't the Python code collapse to:

if category == 'main_menu':
else:

Which is also invalid syntax.  I have a feeling that this would be
clearer if the whole snippet was done as a single piece using the Python
equivalent of Response.write instead of the value extraction.  Probably
run faster, too, according to the ASP book I'm looking at.

Joshua