sre vs. re (was Re: crimes in Python)

Aahz Maruch aahz at
Thu Mar 9 19:35:58 CET 2000

In article <LXQx4.61$Lh9.178144768 at>,
Fredrik Lundh <effbot at> wrote:
>(if everything goes according to plans, an alpha version
>should appear in the CVS repository shortly.  initially, the
>"re" and "regex" modules will still use the old engines.  to
>use the new one, look for a module called "sre")

Will sre be method-for-method compatible with re?
                      --- Aahz (Copyright 2000 by aahz at

Androgynous poly kinky vanilla queer het    <*>
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

"Along the lines of getting a massage, taking a hot bubble bath, and
swimming in a pool of warm, melted chocolate, can you give me some
innovative ways that you pamper yourself?"
"Spend three hours flaming stupid people on the Net."  --Aahz