Python advocacy

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin at mems-exchange.org
Tue Mar 7 11:30:38 EST 2000

Paul Prescod <paul at prescod.net> writes:
> No, there will never be a single language that everyone uses. There is
> likely to be a "shakeout" in the next five years that will reduce the
> number of languages greatly. I think that after the shakeout there will
> be a single language in the VB/TCL/Perl/Python space. It would be better

Really?  I'm very doubtful of such claims, because the world of
computing is so large.  Languages may be hyped, and they may
alternately become hot and cold, but it takes a terribly long time for
a language to die: so much code to rewrite, so many systems to replace.

(This is why I think the Ruby people are being too grandiose in their
claims.  If Python and Perl haven't killed off Tcl, and Java hasn't
killed off Python and Perl, it's unlikely that Ruby is going to manage
any of those feats.  Ruby certainly can form a healthy community of
its own and prosper alongside these other languages, of course.)

The Internet uses a form of time-sharing. It may not be as fast as you would
like, but it's time sharing. Demons may work the same way.
    -- From the Demon Possession Handbook
       (http://www.gelservices.com/part1.html)