need fast parser for comma/space delimited numbers

Tony McDonald tony.mcdonald at
Sun Mar 19 19:25:11 CET 2000

In article <etditykrz7w.fsf at>, Alex
<alex at> wrote:
d like to drop that down to a minute of possible.
> Hmm, I must be missing something.  The following code takes about 8s on
> a Sparc 10 and about 5 on a Linux w/ pentium II 400MHz.
> import string, time
> line = '356 0.23514  0.1784'
> start_time = time.time ()
> for i in 90000 * [None]:
>     split_line = filter (None, string.split (line))
>     n = int (split_line [0])
>     x = float (split_line [1])
>     y = float (split_line [2])
> print time.time () - start_time

sorry to be wildly off-topic here, but what pystones are you getting on
your Sparc 10?
I ask because we're getting pretty poor performance from our Sun
hardware here. eg

180MHz 603e (LinuxPPC) pystones = 890
266MHz G3 (iMac, MacOS) pystones = 4600 (code takes 4.5 seconds)
300MHz? Ultrasparc (Solaris) pystones = 2500  (code takes 8.5 seconds)
500MHz Pentium III (SUSE Linux) pystones = 5500
700MHz Pentium III (Win32) pystones = 10120

...and I'd really like to get the numbers up on the Sun iron (if that's

I couldn't get numbers on the Pentiums at the moment, and have no idea
why the pystones are so different for the sake of 200MHz of processor.

To get random signatures put text files into a folder called ³Random Signatures² into your Preferences folder.