Python performance

Brett g Porter BgPorter at NOacmSPAM.org
Fri Mar 10 11:02:09 EST 2000

"Fredrik Lundh" <effbot at telia.com> wrote in message
news:Ex8y4.156$Lh9.181466624 at newsb.telia.net...
> > > working for microsoft on windows NT? (yes, I'm serious)
> >
> > Wow. What was he working on? What a transition! Cutting edge
> > rendering speed to... Microsoft.
Abrash rewrote GDI for NT, moving it from User mode to Kernel mode, IIRC.

> correction: the first *edition* was published in 1994.  there's
> a second edition written after his ID adventures, and also the
> black book which is some kind of superversion of all his "zen"
> books.
Yes - - the Black book is *highly* recommended, as it's the only in-print
source for his 'Zen of Code Optimization'. The stuff on Mode X and writing
directly to a VGA card aren't as useful/interesting as they once might have
been, but for volume of insight into a brilliant programmer's mind, the book
can't be beat.