Extending Python with Free Borland Compiler?

Tres Seaver tseaver at starbase.neosoft.com
Thu Mar 30 23:14:49 EST 2000

In article <E0DE4.113$lE6.626 at news-server.bigpond.net.au>,
Mark Hammond <mhammond at skippinet.com.au> wrote:
>"Gordon Williams" <g_will at cyberus.ca> wrote in message
>news:01bf9986$4e625dc0$1442c3d1 at Cyberus...
>> Try
>>
>> http://www.borland.com/bcppbuilder/freecompiler/
>>
>> for the free compiler.  It is 5.5 (their latest I think).
>>
>> Gordon Williams
>
>Not long ago David Ascher made a call for someone to provide
>makefiles for this.  Although it will be some time before (if
>ever) the Python core moves to this compiler, having a simple set
>of makefiles would mean people could build their own local
>version of Python and any extensions with it.

I have made a start at this:  Python (a reduced subset -- I didn't fetch
sources for dbm, zlib, etc.) compiles and links with my makefile/patches,
but craps out immediately on running.  The makefiles and patches are here:

  http://www.palladion.com/BC5_Python.zip

I would welcome feedback from anyone on getting it to actually work.
(The patches are against the released 1.5.2 sources, BTW).

A-patch-here-a-patch-there-and-pretty-soon-you-are-talking-real-effort'ly,

Tres.