C++ / Java / Python (was Status of C++)

see_plus_plus at my-deja.com see_plus_plus at my-deja.com
Mon Mar 6 11:02:23 EST 2000

Agree!

COBOL has been the most successful commercial programming language ever!
COBOL was invented for a specific purpose and has served its reason
pretty well.

Attempt to replace COBOL with C never emerged, not with any other
language either.

Programming language is just part of the solution.

cpp

In article <38C3A3C2.A692AF05 at gssec.bt.co.uk>,
  Alan Gauld <alan.gauld at gssec.bt.co.uk> wrote:
> Just to pick up a small point...
>
> > >What I am concerned with is that C++ would be relegated to
> > the COBOL level, with lot of maintenance, migration to do
> > but with very little new development.
>
> This is plain wrong.
> There are lots of new COBOL projects around and a recent
> Gartner(?) survey showed that the majority of the new code
> being written worldwide is still in COBOL - something
> like 25% was the figure I saw. (Remember that every
> single COBOL project produces a LOT of code!)
>
> India is the second biggest software producer in the
> world and an awful lot of the stuff done there is sub
> contracted COBOL... BTW They can do pretty mean C++ too
> if that's what you need but they go with the market,
> there's very little language snobbery there :-)
>
> Alan G.
> --
> This post represents the views of the author
> and does not necessarily accurately represent
> the views of BT.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.