class variables

Aahz Maruch aahz at
Fri Mar 10 21:27:26 CET 2000

In article <38C8C4DA.24E63F4 at>,  <T.Rafie at> wrote:
>In C++ one can use static variables as class variables on which You
>have access from different instances of the class.  How can that be
>realized in Python?  Think for example on a singleton-class which
>should have only one instance.

Oleg answered your question; now I'm going to answer the question you
didn't ask (yet): while class variables in Python are reasonably
straightforward, there are no class *methods* in Python.  You need to
have an instance, access the class variables directly, or create a
module-level function.
                      --- Aahz (Copyright 2000 by aahz at

Androgynous poly kinky vanilla queer het    <*>
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

"Along the lines of getting a massage, taking a hot bubble bath, and
swimming in a pool of warm, melted chocolate, can you give me some
innovative ways that you pamper yourself?"
"Spend three hours flaming stupid people on the Net."  --Aahz