Python advocacy

Grant Edwards grant at nowhere.
Tue Mar 7 13:14:39 EST 2000

In article <Trax4.5969$zU2.1936148 at paloalto-snr1.gtei.net>, Brian wrote:

>> Although I dislike Tcl, I believe it was not designed to scale.

Agreed, but I don't spend my time on a crusade against it like
some people seemed to.  I remember the original RMS vs. Tcl
thread many years (5?) ago...

>> Try reading ``The Tcl War''
>> <url:http://www.vanderburg.org/Tcl/war/>. Basically, RMS
>> complained about the limitations of Tcl, and various people
>> flame him and each other. But Osterhout explains the design
>> principles of Tcl.

>To be fair, the "Tcl War" thread is REALLY old and Tcl has
>advanced rapidly since then and has addressed pretty much all
>of it's early shortcomings.  It is now up to version 8.3 and
>supports Unicode, advanced regular expressions, OOP, bytecode
>compilation, complex GUI's etc.  You can find more recent
>information here: http://dev.scriptics.com/advocacy/

I gave up on Tcl years ago and switched to Scheme (and now
Python).  The first time I tried to write a decent sized Tcl
app the lack of data structures and the quoting semantics both
made me bleed from the ears.  Other people seem to manage
better than I.  To each his own.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I feel... JUGULAR...
                                  at