Strange Python problem on Linux.

Thomas A. Bryan tbryan at python.net
Thu Mar 2 21:18:15 EST 2000

Forrest Cahoon wrote:

> In article <38BC8DB1.F3F26298 at python.net>,
>   "Thomas A. Bryan" <tbryan at python.net> wrote:
> >
> > At work, Xemacs shows the ^M in the file.
> > I suppose Emacs hides them
> > from me so that I don't have to see them.

> Early versions of GNU Emacs 20 (up to 20.3, IIRC) show MS-DOS style
> line endings by a "\" in the status line (instead of a ":" for unix
> single-lf style).

Thanks.  That's nice to know.  I suppose I should actually read all
of the info pages on Emacs before complaining.

> This change of behavior from Emacs 19.x cost me a
> long time on another problem, because I _expected_ to see the ^Ms at
> the end of the line, so I "knew" that wasn't the problem :-(.

Ick.

> Once you learn that's what's going on, it's actually _nicer_
> than seeing all those ^Ms.

Now that I know about it, I think that I agree.
I normally just get rid of the carriage returns with a
M-% C-q C-m [ret] [ret] !

> (I'm tempted to throw in some comment about this being an
> invisible whitespace problem, but I think I'll refrain :-))

It is an invisible whitespace problem, but I just had it in Perl and
PL/SQL today.  Because of this thread, I immediately knew what was
going on.  (In this case, my co-worker's Windows program was adding
the carriage return on the line ending as it checked things out of
revision control to a Unix shared drive.  Ick.)

---Tom