De-compiler for *.pyc files

Michael Hudson mwh21 at
Fri Mar 10 22:59:51 CET 2000

"Zarkon & Zena" <nospam at> writes:

> Does anyone have a "decompiler" that I can use to re-create the original
> *.py scripts from the "compiled" *.pyc files?
> I am stuck trying to make changes to some legacy Python code that I do not
> have the source for.
> Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Do to, type "decompyle" into the box, and then hit "I'm
feeling lucky".

Warning: It probably won't work.  But it's worth a try.

Failing that, you can just use the `dis' module on the functions and
work out what they do by hand, which is not very hard, but very

very few people approach me in real life and insist on proving they are
drooling idiots.                         -- Erik Naggum, comp.lang.lisp